Welcome to DubForce.net

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jonk710

Rallye resurection

15 posts in this topic

After I sold the last Rallye for good reasons, I never thought I'd buy another. I'd known about this car for 5+ years and got it at a good price.

The history on this car is that the Danny (previous owner) bought it and managed to drive +/- 10mls before the engine gave up. He recovered some money from the seller and parked it up. Over 11yrs Danny has carried out major work with an engine rebuild, sills cut out and repaired and a very nice paint job. Luckily for me Danny had been eyeing up a Norton and I think it was just the right time to offer money and we came to a deal.

Car is on 140000kms, covered 15mls or so in 11yrs. Engine rebuilt to a high spec and front end powder coated and bushed. I have the car up on stands but with too many projects and being pretty much busy all the time the Rallye will get done when time permits. 

I plan to get the interior sorted first (easy bit). The tailgate has been de-wipered and de-locked which is not for me so there are plenty wires and pipes etc missing. I have a new tailgate which I'll get painted and installed then run all the wires. I have an electric recaro interior (not rallye as I'm not paying a premium for rallye recaros) which is getting retrimmed in June. Get that installed followed by the glass then thats the interior done.

Rear end in a poor condition so that needs dropped and stripped and rebuilt. I'll keep you all posted as I go but this isn't going to be a quick process.

Some pics below of work Danny has done and as it sits now.

chassislegrustproofed.jpg

doorlacedon.jpg

hovering.jpg

IMG_3541.JPG

Couple more pics

IMG_6757.JPG

IMG_7682.JPG

IMG_6462.JPG

IMG_7683.JPG

1 person likes this

Not much been going on apart from collecting parts.

I got the Chromalux fitted, interior finished, brake ducts sourced, interior windscreen trim sourced, clips galore, tank straps, the list goes on....

Got a new bonded screen but it turned up damaged so have ordered another which has arrived, just waiting to get it fitted. Few more pics below.

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_9779.jpg

IMG_9778.jpg

Loving the seats JonK! What cloth is it from? Mk1 Series 1 GTI?

Have you bought a 911 cab?

1 person likes this

Yea those seats are stunning!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, Dufmiester said:

Loving the seats JonK! What cloth is it from? Mk1 Series 1 GTI?

Have you bought a 911 cab?

The cloth is Mk7 Golf GTE tartan, he's made a stunning job, really happy with them. I wasn't prepared to spend 2000+ on 2 rallye recaros so opted for the full retrim instead. 2 fronts, rear bench and 4 door cards cost less than 2 rallye recaros.

No on the porker, the photo was taken at the trimmers when I picked the seats up.

IMG_0828.jpg

The update on the car is not good folks.

Front arches and rear arches have been previously pulled out to fit huge wheels, ruining them in the process. They all need metal work to put back to standard.

The engine rebuild has proven many issues, cut wires, loose bolts, burst seals. The latest news is cheap pistons of incorrect size and someone trying to fire up a non complete engine has resulted in scratches in the bores.

And the icing on the cake is the respray is the wrong colour, so it needs a full paint.

I really wish I hadn't bought it but I suppose when it's done, every nut and bolt will be new and it'll be pristine

Car was described by Supergolfs as having Evo arches when advertised before being bought by someone from Linlithgow.

15 hours ago, slateford said:

Car was described by Supergolfs as having Evo arches when advertised before being bought by someone from Linlithgow.

Yip, I spoke with Danny and he told me he bought it like that from Linlithgow. The team who are restoring it have said the rear arches have been battered with a hammer to force them out then filled up with filler to strengthen and conceal the damage. The positive side is the car is rust free. I have bought a front wing and am currently looking for the other side, this will be cheaper in the long run to bolt on rather than hours of metal work. I'm going to resto in a few weeks to discuss the rear arches.

I'll update as i go.

Photo 06-03-2018, 17 15 08_preview.jpeg

Photo 28-02-2018, 14 22 57_preview.jpeg