Welcome to DubForce.net

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Stevetilston

Ripped off from another 'member'

26 posts in this topic

Just looking for some advice and thoughts. Bought a 2.5 5 cylinder motor off a member on here for a nice some of money.

Long story short is that after months of hard work, the motor is damaged and sold as complete and absolutely fine.

Went to drop the oil today as starting this motor for the first time was coming close...only to find pieces of metal in the oil filter. Closer inspection with the sump off has shown number one big end has gone.
1 person likes this

sorry to hear that mate, have you tried to resolve it with the seller?

Sorry to hear that mate, legally you're stuffed of course so unless you have experience 'helping people to change their mind' (you wouldn't be asking here if you did) I'd say chalk it up to experience, strip the motor down and rebuild it. Probably wouldn't cost that much and nothing to be gained by dwelling on it as I'm sure everyone will attest as we've all been had at some point.
1 person likes this

its all becoming too common these days.
Rip of people and rip of prices.
So much so I'm selling up my mk2 because I'm fed up of the scene in general and can't be arsed with it anymore.

Keeping the Rallye of course but it's going off the road at the end of the month.
2 people like this

its all becoming too common these days.
Rip of people and rip of prices.
So much so I'm selling up my mk2 because I'm fed up of the scene in general and can't be arsed with it anymore.

Keeping the Rallye of course but it's going off the road at the end of the month.

This just sums up exactly what I think.

Not only is the motor bolloxed but also I agreed a price on this engine, hired a van to collect, took a day off work to be told about 24 hours before collection that the engine is now going to cost another £700 as someone else has shown interest.

So now I have paid an extra £700 for a engine which would have sounded like a box of spanners.

Stupid thing is it was sold from his house so next time I'm passing I'll call in for a nice chat.

Sorry to hear that mate, legally you're stuffed of course so unless you have experience 'helping people to change their mind' (you wouldn't be asking here if you did) I'd say chalk it up to experience, strip the motor down and rebuild it. Probably wouldn't cost that much and nothing to be gained by dwelling on it as I'm sure everyone will attest as we've all been had at some point.

Well I hope the term what goes round comes back around in this instance. I understand what you mean but a little bit of sympathy or a refund from the seller may have softened the blow instead of 'sold as seen'

Sure..shouldn't cost much to totally strip the motor, send the crank off to be re ground, purchase new rods and shells, headset etc oh and let's hope the cylinders are ok....

Yeh so now I know why someone set out to put this into a rallye, years of planning and looking for a doner to suddenly change their mind,

This just sums up exactly what I think.

Not only is the motor bolloxed but also I agreed a price on this engine, hired a van to collect, took a day off work to be told about 24 hours before collection that the engine is now going to cost another £700 as someone else has shown interest.

So now I have paid an extra £700 for a engine which would have sounded like a box of spanners.

Stupid thing is it was sold from his house so next time I'm passing I'll call in for a nice chat.

At this point I would have told the seller to Foxtrot Oscar, as you agreed to buy it for an advertised price, and not end up paying another £700.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1 person likes this

Not really sure what you can do here. Can you get a 2nd opinion from a reputable garage that the engine was goosed when you bought it with photos to prove? You can then take the proof and advert to trading standards as it was obviously advertised dis-honestly. Yes, it's unlucky and for a few hundred quid you could maybe accept but when your speaking 700+ that's just robbery.
Good luck.

The problem we had regarding the foxtrot oscar approach was that the van was paid for and two people had taken holidays from work. So if we were to cancel that we would have lost out for nothing.

The engine hasn't ran for a good couple of years. It's going into a mk2 golf. Probably one of the first to be done in the uk. I have got loads of pictures to prove and it's not exactly from another engine as since we bought this there has only been one more pop up for sale so there's not a lot of them about.

Believe me I didn't want to pay anymore than already agreed. The previous agreed price was his own asking price with no offers accepted. The least he should do is contribute to the cost of the damage at the very least.

I'm sure he's very well known on this forum and he's being very quiet about this so far ...

So the latest is that this now requires a new crank. Crank is bolloxed. Pistons are knackered and night aswell say the rods and knackered aswell. Someone needs to show some sort of decency now. 4500 quid for a totally wrecked bottom end. This is now going to cost around 2k to put right.

Can it not be re ground and oversized shells fitted?

Well in the normal world yes, a reground would have been on the cards, however, when we were stripping the motor it never got any easier to turn over as we removed the pistons, wasnt hard to turn over just didnt feel 'free'

we thought maybe it had picked up a main bearing as well but on inspection the crank is bent by 0.3mm. looks like its had a good smack to the pulley sometime in the past, by the time its straightened and ground there wouldnt be much difference to a bran new one

Yeah to pu it bluntly your screwed then, it also looks twisted?

Just the camera angle I think! the crank had been pushed inwards from the pulley end bending it along the main bearing to big end web which is a relatively weak area as no hp goes this way except for the alternator/water pump etc

Luckily the impact wasn't hard enough to take the block out as the impact would have gone through the thrust bearings into the block,

With new crank in it turns over as sweet as

Going to end up a very expensive engine though and not matching the description at all of what we bought, we were told by the seller it was a mint engine.

Engine will end up costing nearly £3K in parts

Crank £850, bearings about £300, rods £900, 2 x pistons £400, oil pump £200 2 exhaust valves £50 plus new head/rod and main bearing bolts

It would have been nearly as cheap to buy another TTRS/RS3 motor off ebay and sell whats left over, but the last thing we need the way our luck is running is two knackered TTRS motors  

I've only just spotted this and knowing Mike personally , I can say he wouldn't have sold this engine to you you as mint if he knew it was fu**ed , he's just not that type of person .
He was sold the engine as mint and sold as seen so most likely just sold it on with the same descriptionas when he boughtit .
It was originally bought to go into his Mk1 sportline and wasn't far off be completed when he came across the Rallye shell and decidedto put it in that.
It was probably only because of people like me going on at him about keeping the Rallye as a G60 why decided to sell the RS3 engine.
I was even offered the engine which he would not have done if he knew it was damaged as we've know each other for over 15 years.
I'm genuinely gutted for you mate but will say again I cant see Mike having knowingly done you over,
I can't comment on the 'sold as seen ' reply you had other than to say if you're sold somethingas mint and it seems to be mint and you dont end up using it, then decided to sell it checked and collcted by the buyer it is then very difficult to accept complaints about it months later.
I haven't spoken to him and then replied in this thred by the way , I dont even know if he knows about it, I just thought I would throw up a bit of a character refrance.
1 person likes this

Right ok. Freind of mikes...

Tell me what your reaction would be. You spend £4500 on an engine. It turns out to be shagged. Pretty much the whole thing is shagged. I'm not talking head gaskets or a blown turbo here. I'm talking £4500 literally down the pan. For this to be fixed it's not going to be far from the £4500 I already spent purchasing this mint motor. So you contact mike, voice your concerns and literally get a reply of 'sold as seen mate'

You may have known him for 15years..but to be honest after 15minutes of speaking to him I made my mind up about him. He wanted more money. Everything which originally was included in the deal such as airbox, wiring loom suddenly wasn't in the deal and I then had to purchase these aswell on the day. This after already agreeing to pay the original £3650. The arrogant response of...I have got them and you need them if I remember correctly.

Now tell me, these motors don't come up for sale very often. So after months of searching, sourcing and planning it's then suddenly back up for sale as a mint motor.

Now I'm not asking for my 4500 back, maybe a simple apology or a part refund may have gone down a little better than 'sold as seen mate'

Myself personally couldn't do that.

Lets just get this straight from the off, This is not my argument,
'I just thought I would throw up a bit of a character reference" as I said at the end of my post.

"Right ok. Freind of mikes...

Tell me what your reaction would be."

My reaction would have happened somewhere around here- " You may have known him for 15years..but to be honest after 15minutes of speaking to him I made my mind up about him.

Or here- " He wanted more money"

Here maybe- Everything which originally was included in the deal such as airbox, wiring loom suddenly wasn't in the deal and I then had to purchase these aswell on the day. This after already agreeing to pay the original £3650.

But I know how it is, if you really want something you ignore the obvious.
But if your not comfortable , you are in the position of power and you can walk away.
regardless of people having taken days off work and vans being hired.

If guarantees were made that the engine was a runner and if you had made agreements that you could bring it back if problems
arose then I'd say bring this up with the seller,
But having sold 'Tens... of engines over the years I almost never agreed to anything like that as many were bought from breakers and through ebay and I had not personally seen or heard them running.

I always said do all the checks that you need to be happy making the purchase, and sometimes had peoplewent as far as removing plugs, cam covers, sumps etc before they were happy.

No need to spend £4500 repairing the engine by the way I just spotted this on EBay, might be useful
: - 141748958669

Daz

Thanks for the eBay add...unfortunately once bitten comes to mind so it's being repaired properly with genuine parts.

I had been on the look out for an engine for some time. So when this one became available local we kind of fell into the trap regarding the price rising. If there were more options available at the time then the deal would not have happened I can assure you. But again he knew this 'you need it, I have got it'

As for checking before you buy. Unfortunately you can imagine mikes garage with the rallye inside. Not a lot of room and without an engine crane or stand it is near impossible to whip a sump off. Crank was turned over, but as the motor was literally sat an inch off the floor removing the sump was never an option. So you kind of take the sellers word.

Also taking the sump off wouldnt show much as the 2.5T has a 'double' baffled type of sump, above the steel pan there is an aluminium piece about 2 inches deep, to get that off the timing case and case on the pulley end need to come off

As I have already said this is being repaired now. I wouldn't trust buying another motor off anyone anymore. Probably why the scene has died a little over the last few years.

As soon as people started calling it a scene it was doomed, there are still some nice cars about but the people seemed changed.
I've been into VWs for about 20 years now and I'd say that modified VWs, shows and followers was at there best about 10 years ago.
2 people like this

I feel the same, Im pretty much sick of the whole thing. Been doing a conversion on the Mk2 since the end of last year. Bought a "rebuilt" engine with ported and polished head, high lift cams, 2ltr etc etc. Watch the video below of the road test from about 1min 13secs in. I was lucky enough to get another engine pretty quick which is running fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfKMBopJYl8&feature=youtu.be

I'm genuinely gutted for you mate but will say again I cant see Mike having knowingly done you over,

Regardless if the engine is scrap or not, upping the price by £700 after agreeing a price is a very shitty thing to do.

1 person likes this