Welcome to DubForce.net

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

mk216vg60

Rally dust/weather car cover

13 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Due to get my freshly sprayed rallye back in a couple of days and i'm looking for a good quality car cover to keep it dry, dust free and just nicely protected really.

It will be stored in a garage which is slightly damp but out of the weather. I would prefer a partially waterproof cover just in case there are any drips at all.

I've seen the ones in the links below but just wondered what people have or are using.

Richbrook type

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Richbrook-Tailored-Indoor-Outdoor-Car-Cover-VW-Golf-Mk2-Mk4-Cabrio-83-03-/251635578384?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a96a63610

Classic additions- look good

https://www.classicadditions.com/car-covers/indoor-car-covers/super-soft-stretch-indoor-car-cover.html#customise

Also, i take it a standard mk2 size would fit the extra girth of the rallye...

Thanks in advance.

James.

James,

I've just renewed the cover for my Rallye and I bought the Halfords Advanced All Seasons Car Cover in Medium and It fits perfectly, I was a bit worried about what the quality was going to be like being Halfords own brand and being only £50 but it's very good, it is waterproof has 3 under car straps and elasticated corners so it is very secure. BUT it does say and probably applies to most car covers, not to use it on car that have been painted within the last 3 months.

Nick[attachment=17118:image.jpg][attachment=17117:image.jpg]

Thanks for sharing nick. What is the inside of the cover like? Is it pretty soft? I had a thin cover I used to use on my old car and it caused quite a bit of spidering on the paint.

I had a chat earlier with the classic additions guys and they're sending me out some samples of the covers to have a look at. Good service to be fair. I'll report back when I've had a look.

check out these ones: http://www.stormcarcovers.co.uk/

excellent quality, multi layered, breathable etc

^^ They look really good actually. The outdoor one is breathable as well. I'm only worried about how soft the inside is against the paintwork.

Think i'll go for that though.

Cheers.

Speak to Saty with the BBM gti....username 'blue' or something. He has a good cover that he uses all year round.

My opinion though, I wouldn't be using a cover on a freshly painted car.....someone correct me if I'm wrong with my thinking?

Any contact details for him mate?

It's been painted for 4 weeks now. Just took the bodyshop an absolute age to flat and final polish! It's been sitting in the sun during this hot period too so should be baking it nicely. The cover's for my birthday from the mrs so i won't get it until the 13th. Should be fine by then. More worried about cleaning it for Sunday...

I'm pretty much decided on the storm one above. Spoke to the guy on the phone who seemed nice and was very informative. Pricewise they are one of the cheapest for a good quality cover.

No expert on paint but paint jobs + oven must mean finish is well hardened in modern day compared to years ago so I don't think risks are as high.

That said whether you have paint done 1 day or 10 years if the cover is cheap and nasty it will mark paint (to a lesser degree if car is in a garage as opposed to out in the open with wind etc).

I have a stormforce cover for my mk2. Fits perfect and is a winter cover. You shouldn't use it in the baking heat as its not designed for it. Materials on it will break down.

The monsoon cover...thats perfect all year round, much lighter than the stormforce and ive just bought one for my rallye. I chose the hf intergrale cover and is a snug fit.

coveryourcar.co.uk

Cheers blue.

Are you using the monsoon cover in all weather or is the car garaged? I think I'm right in saying having spoken to the guy that it's just the storm force that's waterproof.

And Mike, I'm only looking at quality car covers. I've seen what some of the halfords covers do to the paintwork!

I've had the Sahara indoor cover from CoverYourCar.co.uk fitted on my rallye for the last 5 years, use it pretty much 24/7 when it's parked up in the garage.

The fit is perfect and it's great at keeping the dust off and giving a bit of protection as you (or the kids!) get stuff in/out of the garage.

My own opinion, I would never use an outdoor cover long term and certainly wouldn't cover paint that's only 4 weeks old.......learnt my lesson from covering my other mk2 long term when it was parked outside.

Problem is some of us don't have a choice. I don't have the luxury of a garage, so have to use an outdoor cover. For the original OP: I got mine from Hamilton Classics, seems to be doing the job well, it did start out being a silver grey, but now going a pink-ish colour in the sun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk