Welcome to DubForce.net

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Stevetilston

golf mk2 audi tfsi 2.5 swap

29 posts in this topic

hi , new to the forum but have been in and out of the dub scene the last 12 years or so.

Basically starting off with a mk2 golf as a first car back in the day, its kind of stuck! Had a fair few mk2s in the past but have held onto my current mk2 for nearly 10 year. It started off as a 1.8 automatic 3 door shell, which was mated with a 5door syncro. The end product was a 4wd 3 door shell which was painted black.

The motor was out of a seat leon cupra, 1.8 20vt. This was taken from my previous shell which had a disagreement with a barrier and sadly lost.

Back in the day there wasnt much which would keep up with a mk2 golf with approx 280bhp of useable power. As the years have gone by i thought it was now time for more power. Lots of ideas and plans were made, lots of different alternatives, different engines etc. We seemed to settle on a rebuild for the 20vt. This way or that way we seemed to end up looking at a rebuild. Until we sourced an audi rs3 2.5 tsfi engine.

The project is only just starting to take shape but i will update every couple of weeks or so to show the progress. Are there any other out there that have done the conversion? I can only find a few.

Heres some pictures,

20vt about to be removed

DSCF1451%201280x960_zps9eb0vi2a.jpg

Strip down well underway

DSCF1460%201280x960_zpsqox27anw.jpg

old vs new

DSCF1461_zpsizwjbdfb.jpg

offering the tfsi up

DSCF1471_zpsacxwddkg.jpg

weighing up how much of the offside leg requires removing 

DSCF1466%20960x1280_zpssovknsuo.jpg

Thats all the pictures i have for the time being. The offside leg has been cut out and re strengthened. Just currently welding the mount bracket in place. Nearside is also well on the way now, hopefully have both mounts all welded up for next weekend

1 person likes this

Found a couple more on my phone. Pictures show nearside tray slightly cut out and a piece of steel to hold the gearbox mount in place

I will post some updates tomorow. Hopefully all mounts will be welded in place with potential one or two dog bone mounts underneath aswell.

I will post a picture of the car tomorow mike

Little bit of progress over the weekend. Got everything in place under the bonnet. Just need to move inter cooler forward an inch under the front panel and then work out which radiator to go for. Require a slightly bigger one from the previous, best one I can find is an aluminium bmw 3 series rad. Inlet/outlet pipes sort of in the right area and also the rad comes with a side tank so I can get rid of the oem expansion tank which will save some space

wowzer... doesn't leave an awful lot of room in there does it?! :blink:

Awesome progress going on here, this is going to be a bit of a beast when it's done... :)

Little update. Engine bay painted. Servo re painted and bulkhead heat proofed...oh and engine in place

Project was all but done apart from a fuel pump and a down pipe.

Engine is now in the process of being totally stripped as someone has sold me a box of spanners.

Crank shaft will more than likely need to be re ground or replaced. Probably going to require rods and maybe even piston...but we havnt got that far yet. Summer is out of the window and probably worthersee aswell now.

All for someone to make a little money and screw another member over.

Hope the damage is minimal, and you get it sorted quickly. Gonna be awesome when it's done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Damage is far from minimal.

Actually contemplating selling up

Any serious interest will require deep deep pockets.

That's crap man

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep. Requires a new crank. Pistons the lot.

Time for some money back now as this has just risen by 2k to fix.

Lots of unhappy friends and family too

Engine damage:

No1 Big end knackered (photo)

No2 Big end shells melted but no damage to rod or crank

No3 Piston has been changed in the past, piston looks newer and bore has been honed

No5 Piston has siezed second compression ring, cylinder bore is OK

Crank would not spin by hand, eventually traced to pulley end main bearing , putting DTI on pulley end main bearing shows a 0.35mm bend to the crank, crank spins OK

with shells removed from this bearing cap and block,

So basically everything that moves in the short block is b*****xed

:angry2:

The first TTRS engines have a eco program what it does is lowering the oilpressure. Yep...bright idea! But we al know how VW/Audi trick the figures.
Long story short, in Germany a lot of TTRS engines have died the same way youre engine did. JDEngineering in the Netherlands can help you out and reprogram this
nasty lean oilpressure gimic out of the ECU.
Newer cars don't have this feature anymore,

I don't know youre TTRS knowledge, I dont want to offend you, but take the manual (Elsa) some trics are cleared when rebuilding the engine.

Engine all built back up and back in the car. Few wires left to complete...fuel pump and swirl pot to be added and then just a down pipe to mate to the existing system and job done. Won't be going to worthersee next year but it's not far off completed.

Thats good news! Have you done anything regarding the ECU?

When you have it running that's a real achievement, the TTRS engine is not an easy build.  :clap: 
Friend of mine does it with the DSG gearbox in a Rallye Golf, a massive conversion. 

1 person likes this

The ecu has just returned from having the immobiliser removed. I think we're going to get the engine all running etc first and then decide which way to go with mapping etc. I will obviously be asking the question regarding the oil pressure problems though :)
1 person likes this

The first TTRS engines have a eco program what it does is lowering the oilpressure. Yep...bright idea! But we al know how VW/Audi trick the figures.
Long story short, in Germany a lot of TTRS engines have died the same way youre engine did. JDEngineering in the Netherlands can help you out and reprogram this
nasty lean oilpressure gimic out of the ECU.
Newer cars don't have this feature anymore,

I don't know youre TTRS knowledge, I dont want to offend you, but take the manual (Elsa) some trics are cleared when rebuilding the engine.

There is also a succession of updated main and big end bearings as well, we ended up with 3 different main bearings with altered oil grooves that goven when the big end is supplied with oil, we also changed the solenoid that reduces the oil pressure on light loads and rpm's, it allows the oil pressure back into the oil pump where it pushes a piston that effectively moves the pump gears to give less delivery, I did plan to monitor the oil pressure and see if I could just unplug the solenoid and perhaps plug the old one in to keep the ecu happy, but good info on the reprogramme by JD, thanks

These are the main bearing that fit in the cap, newest update on left, original on right, upper bearing that sits in the block also has a shortened oil groove that stops about 5mm from each end of the bearing, newest bearings also all black coated with teflon low friction as found on piston skirts