Welcome to DubForce.net

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

jonk710

Mk2 16v Oaky

39 posts in this topic

Fitted up the fuel system and connected up the exhaust.
Put new 10w/40 in and went for a test fire. Turns over no problem but not hearing the usual fuel pump buzz. Ordered up and fitted a new fuel pump, got it running but at 4000revs straight off! Adjusted the cable and she idles nicely at 1000rpm. What a sense of achievement - until....
Spotted fuel pishing out of a fitting at the metering head, fixed that.
Fumes coming from the exhaust manifold - need to re-tighten.
Left it running to get it up to temperature but steam and coolant coming from top and bottom radiator hoses. I'm guessing this is an airlock? I've been advised to run the car up, fan on 3 and heater full blast with the water bottle lid off to let out any air and circulate the fluids.

Roll on Friday so I can get on with it.

I'm struggling with the coilovers, any how to's or step by step guides on how to fit them?

I love this colour and model of the mk2 golf, I want one next. A high quality restoration, well done pal, it look's really clean.

Did you get the coil overs on and tested?

I didn't, no. Put a question up under coilovers in Chassis.

Ran the car up with the cap off and bled all the system, seems to have settled down so am happy with that. Put the front end back on.

IMG_2773_zpsib5vahfw.jpg

Fitted the coilovers and secured, nor sure if they are right or not but will let a garage sort them properly when I put it in for the 4 wheel alignment to get done. Finished off the front end and took it off the stands, real chuffed with myself B)

IMG_2846_zps1itqaeor.jpg

Thought I'd take it out for a small test drive to see how it is but when I stuck the clutch in the pedal dropped straight to the floor. Never ending problems, it seems to be one thing after another!

I've stuck a Q up in the "normally aspirated! section!

Ever get the feeling you wish you'd never started something?

Car still cuts out when it feels like it with no warning, now have some kind of leak that contacts the exhaust manifold so causes smoke from under the bonnet.

Car is pretty low so can't get under it to have a good look and now I just can't be arsed putting it back up on stands. :(

Know the feeling dude!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorted the clutch issue, that was just me being stupid and leaving a bit out!

I found the leak, it was the power steering metal pipe that had burst through. There's no reason for it to do that so must have been me when I was buffing out the surface rust in the bay, must have caught it with the rotating brush, it just took a while for the pressure to burst through. I got a pipe made from Pirtek so now the PS is fixed.

The car will cut out at junctions. It will drive all day long and feels nice but when approaching a junction or a round about and you dip the clutch to cruise to a stop the revs will drop and the engine dies with all the lights flashing on the dash. I am unable to bump start it. The car must be stopped, turn the key and away she goes.

I've bought extra kit, like a deceleration cut of valve, ISV etc all to no avail. I also put it to a garage to sort out but after 10 days they said they couldn't get it to cut out! Strange as it cut out 5mins after I collected it!

Just waiting on an auto electrician to get back to me so he can look at it.

Auto electrician came a few weeks ago, he spent 3 hours looking over the car and tested everything with his meter. Found nothing wrong.

Next day I found a loose wire which was corroded inside the ferrule. I've fixed that and car is fine, just needs the idling set up.

I complained to the auto electrician and got half my money back!

At least you find out what was wrong, not a good advert for the auto electrician though - if he did not spot that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1 person likes this

After all the fault finding the engine will still cut out. On top of that it has developed the dreaded blue smoke. Although the engine has just been run in I think as it's sat for 2 years before I bought it some internal seals have perished. In other words the new engine is goosed. After all the work I've done i'm sorely disappointed.

I've managed to source a good valver engine with 120k on it so will buy that and stick it in. Then the car will be up for sale as I've had enough of it.

To top that the Rallye is needing some work. The heat shield and exhaust studs have perished and vibrate really badly so it makes a horrible screeching noise any time the accelerator peddle is touched. I was at Cleanfest with it yesterday so I think that was it's last outing for this year.

So, more money to fork out on the Golfs.

I bet as well that when I get the new engine in the oaky I'll want to keep it :ninja: I'm my own worst enemy!

So, more money to fork out on the Golfs.

I bet as well that when I get the new engine in the oaky I'll want to keep it :ninja: I'm my own worst enemy!

Haha, I am just the same, have a Mk2 sitting here doing nothing, needs a top end rebuild. Rallye still needs tons of work (but it's roadworthy), and I just don't have the time/money to do anything to either.

The new engine should be getting fitted this weekend. 

I'm away to work on Wednesday for a month so it'll be up for sale at the end of September if there are any interested people?

Well, after all the hard work I put into this I've sold it. Just have too many cars. The 32 and the Rallye took the vote. It was running a dream and looked the berries. Sad to see it go

Shame, but a rallye and 32 is still alright!
1 person likes this