Welcome to DubForce.net

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

slateford

Golf Gti G60 Edition One

121 posts in this topic

One week has passed since getting the car which was a bit rougher than expected but got it for a good price in the end. Not a show car but something to keep me occupied over the next year or so, especially as I've got a lockup to keep it in. Rather than mess with a standard good condition car, this allows a bit more freedom.

Hope to get some pictures up soon but here is one of the car when it arrived in the UK on 22.06.01 via G60 Imports.

[attachment=12605:1.jpg]

Odometer is sitting on 260,000 km and came fitted with central locking and height adjustable headlights.

This week has seen me sort the fuel filler central locking, getting speedo working again and all the MFA functions.

Engine is a 1.9L job with big valve gas flowed head, stg4 charger with unknown chip, and ASD gearbox which really brings the revs down in 4th and 5th when on the motorway. In fact fuel consumption was better than the 4Motion driven by a friend on the way back to Edinburgh. Also has short shift kit.

Dyno plot from 2004 when most of the work was carried out show ~230bhp. Graphs supplied are below for anyone to comment on.

[attachment=12609:2.jpg] [attachment=12610:3.jpg] [attachment=12611:4.jpg]

Car still has standard exhaust manifold which is a bit strange with all the money spent on the engine. Been suggested that a stainless steel manifold and back to a 72mm pulley with chip to suit would be better for longevity.

After a few parts incase anyone has something tucked away.

Looking forward to this Slateford :) How you find the ASD 'box, I'm thinking of swapping my CTN for one

In this car, it seems ok as there is plenty of torque. 1-2-3 rapid then into 4th and 5th when at motorway speed. Doing about 2250 rpm at 70 in 5th.

There was a bit of a smell in the car from the engine but think I've tracked it to a split bung on the rocker cover where the relief valve sits. Lots of oily slime underneath the cap.

Just ordered a RH front G60 arch as mine is cracked now they are available again, but for how long, who knows.

Looking at receipts, car has KW V1 coilovers, Vibratechnics engine mounts so owners spent money making it go and handle but ignored the bodywork and interior. Looks like that'll be my job. Edited by slateford
Wrong rpm

Just removed the rear brace in the boot, luckily just bolt on, so for sale if anyone interested when I get a picture up in the classifieds. Test drive later then into lockup.

Spent today hoovering the interior and cleaning plastic trim. Also removed the masses of hi-fi cabling routed under the carpets and got the drivers door aligned.

Heater switch only works on position 3 so am I right in assuming it's a new resistor needed?

The sound insulation in the front footwells has been discarded so will need to replace with equivalent or source 2nd hand.

Car is supposed to have a Quaife LSD but no receipts to show this. Having never driven a car with one installed how can you tell? The steering is heavy at roundabouts and is happiest in a straight line. Giving the car some welly from a standing start, their is some torque steer but nothing too bad.

Some pictures from today but I think lens had a smear on it.

[attachment=12632:000_0109.jpg] [attachment=12633:000_0110.jpg]

[attachment=12634:000_0111.jpg] [attachment=12635:000_0113.jpg]

Took some of the interior out today to track down the smell of stale milk! Think it must have spilt in the boot at some time and run into passenger side.

[attachment=12657:000_0114.jpg]

Boot carpet was removed and given a clean. Three rinses later, the yellow colour stopped coming out whatever that was?

Drivers seat needs a motor and fore aft adjustment lever as in the passenger photo. These seem to be still available so another trip to Mr VW.

[attachment=12658:000_0119.jpg]

Apart from stone chips etc, seem to be 4 areas needing looked at when car eventually gets bodywork looked at.

[attachment=12653:Boot.JPG] [attachment=12655:000_0116.jpg]

[attachment=12656:000_0117.jpg] [attachment=12654:000_0115.jpg]

Think the whole interior could do with coming out but might be over winter to do that one.

not looking to bad wonder what the seat motor etc will cost you, get the scuttle from eurowagens, i just pulled the interior out of my wee mk2 gti and the soundproofing was stinking, i have had them hung up in the greenhouse drip drying for over a week :D

Seat motor will come in about £170 each. For almost that price you can pick up 2 working seat frames.

[attachment=12670:motor.JPG]

Weather miserable here today so spent this morning ordering missing parts for the seat, on 2 pages in EKTA, and keeping next doors cat company.

[attachment=12671:Seat parts.JPG] [attachment=12672:Louis.jpg]

Seats from the car don't look too bad now they are out, hoovered and cleaned a bit. Drivers may need a small hole repaired on the base but all in all ok.

[attachment=12673:000_0121.jpg] [attachment=12674:000_0123.jpg]

It's interesting to think back 10/11 years to when G60 Imports, Supergolfs (remember them?) etc used to bring in Rallye's and Edition One's from Germany. Back then these cars were really scarce in Britain, and they were relatively cheap and plentiful in mainland Europe. When I look on ebay.de, autoscout, etc it seems like the reverse is the case now.
It would be interesting to see a list of all the G60's that were imported back then, and to see how many are still on the road.
I remember at the time being amazed at some of the specs of the cars G60 Imports and Supergolfs were selling - Edition One's with every electric factory option / G60's with full leather / Oettinger conversions / even G60 Synchro's. To someone used to UK market 8v and 16v GTI's, the G60 mk2's that were imported back then were very exotic!

Looking on Autoscout24 and Mobile.de, the clean cars have high price tags and cars that are rough or so far from standard are advertised at prices this car went for when imported in 2001.

[quote name='G60simonh' timestamp='1351077911' post='157330']
i have some spare adjustment levers you may find the ones from vw have different plastic arms at the end.
[/quote]

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

It pays to have a real good look at a car as all may not be as it seems. Drivers seat from the side looked like it was on an electric seat base with trim and switch. Stupidly I assumed it was missing a motor as wiring inderneath was present but turns out its sitting on a normal seat frame.

Sourced a set of Recaro frames with working motors so hopefully that will sort the interior out in the car so will have a passenger frame without motor for sale if anyone is interested.

Thank goodness for the internet!

Very good base. Where did you find this car if you don't mind me asking? If it's the one I think then I may have some info :) PM

Very nice.

Did you fix your fan motor? I'm sure i had one like this once. And it was because the connector at the back of the switch had been forced on in the wrong position.

Might be worth Checking

I hope to have a look tomorrow if weather is decent.

Took the heater motor out today as only works on setting 3. Motor very stiff so will try lubricating them and replacing resistor till I get a new one.

Took centre console out to clean behind it and remove extra hi-fi wires and found this taped to the back.

[attachment=12679:Options.jpg]

When decoded came up with this.

[attachment=12680:Codes.jpg]

Not sure what "[b]S9B = Presentation vehicles for special subsequent marketing activities[/b]" means?

thats pretty cool

[quote name='slateford' timestamp='1351541276' post='157486']
Took the heater motor out today as only works on setting 3. Motor very stiff so will try lubricating them and replacing resistor till I get a new one.
[/quote]

Same issue here mate. Fan only works in position 3..... :(

If you give up on your current one, these guys seem to have one for a good price :

[url="http://www.veedubmachine.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=348_350_73&products_id=968"]http://www.veedubmac...products_id=968[/url]

Lovely Golf you have there and looking forward to see how things evolve !!

Thanks for the link. A friend in Holland has a new one stashed away somewhere he's sending over. When I took the unit out, the fan wasn't easy to turn so putting a new thermal fuse, RA19 from Maplin, the same thing would eventually happen after talking to him. Higher current draw would create a rise in temperature blowing the fuse again. I got 2 fuses from Maplin today and will put a new one into the resistor pack.

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/fan_speed_thermal_fuse_repair.html

[quote name='slateford' timestamp='1351633036' post='157509']
Thanks for the link. A friend in Holland has a new one stashed away somewhere he's sending over. When I took the unit out, the fan wasn't easy to turn so putting a new thermal fuse, RA19 from Maplin, the same thing would eventually happen after talking to him. Higher current draw would create a rise in temperature blowing the fuse again. I got 2 fuses from Maplin today and will put a new one into the resistor pack.

[url="http://wiki.the-corrado.net/fan_speed_thermal_fuse_repair.html"]http://wiki.the-corr...use_repair.html[/url]
[/quote]

Nice one !! I think I'll give this a shot !

So what do you think about the variable resistor contained within too ?

Or it just the fuse that goes AWOL ?

Thanks

Think it's mostly the fuse that goes but if replacing it doesn't get position 1 and 2 back, and the motor turns freely, perhaps a new resistor pack is required.

I'll need to check if soldering the thermal fuse is ok as a thread on ClubGti says you can't.

[url="http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?180727-Blower-resistor-%28cheap-fix-content%29"]http://www.clubgti.c...ap-fix-content)[/url]

Also another guide.

http://website.lineone.net/~quigger/heater.htm

[quote name='slateford' timestamp='1351781409' post='157549']
Think it's mostly the fuse that goes but if replacing it doesn't get position 1 and 2 back, and the motor turns freely, perhaps a new resistor pack is required.

I'll need to check if soldering the thermal fuse is ok as a thread on ClubGti says you can't.

[url="http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?180727-Blower-resistor-%28cheap-fix-content%29"]http://www.clubgti.c...ap-fix-content)[/url]

Also another guide.

[url="http://website.lineone.net/~quigger/heater.htm"]http://website.lineo...gger/heater.htm[/url]
[/quote]

Cheers mate !!